Tuesday 5 June 2007

Sgt. Peppers 40th Anniversary

So did you see the 40th anniversary tribute to Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band on the BBC the other night? The groups who took part include:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Bryan Adams
With A Little Help From My Friends - Razorlight
Fixing a Hole - The Fray
She's Leaving Home - The Magic Numbers
Getting Better - Kaiser Chiefs

All of them were given the chance/challenge to cover the original songs, using the orginal 4-track technology with the original sound engineer Geoff Emerick . It was avery interesting program, especially to see how some of the groups struggled. For the Kaiser Chiefs it seemd like a very humbling experience, although the finished version of Getting Better came together in the end.

Surprisingly enough my pics of the best are by artisits that I don't normally like and whose music I have never bought, Bryan Adams and The Fray. The drummer from Razorlight did a good job. I was actually looking forward to seeing the singer Johnny Borrell being interviewed as the music press make him out to be a major ego. I was hoing to see for myself how he is but the group decided that seeing as Ringo Starr sang the original 'With A Little Help From My Friends' then the Razorlight drummer should do the same.

The only version that I didn't like was Magic Numbers attempt at 'She's Leaving Home'. It sounded horrible, very nazzel. Their voices just didn't suit it. By the way, one of the guys was missing. Are they down to 3? Or he just didn't have a good day?

No comments: